What can an MP do?

The UK public elects Members of Parliament (MPs) to represent their interests and concerns in the House of Commons. MPs consider and can propose new laws as well as raising issues that matter to you in the House. This includes asking government ministers questions about current issues including those which affect local constituents.

MPs split their time between working in Parliament itself, working in the constituency that elected them and working for their political party.

Some MPs from the governing party (or parties) become government ministers with specific responsibilities in certain areas, such as Health or Defence. These MPs do not stop working for their constituency and, whatever their role in Government or Parliament, will still hold regular surgeries to help their constituents.



Jack can help if you have an issue with a government organisation, particularly if this relates to poor communication from government agencies such as UK Visas and Immigration, the Passport Office or the DVLA. Though Jack must allow these organisations a reasonable amount of time to make decisions before he starts making enquiries. MPs cannot expedite immigration applications as these are legal decisions, they can only enquire in relation to a lack of communication.


For Local Issues:

Jack can help with local issues though on issues relating to local council decisions Jack has no jurisdiction. He can write on behalf of constituents to represent their point of view but cannot determine a specific outcome of an enquiry made by the office. On planning disputes Jack has no power to overrule any decision the council makes and can only relay a constituent's point of view, though on this and other local issues there is the expectation that constituents should have already contacted their councillors who are elected to represent constituents at council-level. 

Find your Local Councillor Here:

Your Councillors - South Gloucestershire Council (southglos.gov.uk)


Legal Advice:

Jack and the office are not able to provide any legal advice on a case. If you are contacting the office about a legal issue you will need to seek independent legal advice.

Free legal advice in Bristol and beyond - Bristol Law Centre


If you are unsure whether Jack can help with an issue please contact the office.